March 25, 2010

Culture Club reunion?

I'm by no means a fan of Culture Club, but I like this kind of thing (I just wish The Beatles could have done it for real!). Boy George has recently been quoted as saying the group may reunite (again, again) next year to mark the three decades since their founding.

It may easy to discount them today, especially in light of Boy George's troubled recent years. But back in the day, Culture Club was taken fairly seriously by rock critics. Growing up in the '80s, I wanted to be a rock critic along the lines of Lester Bangs, Robert Christgau, Dave Marsh, and even my childhood hero, Pete Townshend, so I paid attention to such things. I remember there being almost unanimous critical praise for the band's first single, "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me", and perhaps less so, but some serious, positive appraisals of something like:

No comments: