August 6, 2008

"Lollipops and Roses"

"Lollipops and Roses," written by a relatively unknown composer named Tony Velona, was recorded by crooner Jack Jones in 1962. He won a Grammy Award (Best Pop Male Performance) for his version. A Herb Alpert & Tijuana Brass stab at it (from Whipped Cream & Other Delights) was used on The Dating Game, and Paul Petersen warbled his way through one for the teenyboppers (also in '62).

Here, Jones performs it on a Judy Garland TV special. Garland was supposedly a big fan of his, and she inexplicably called him "the best jazz singer in the world" (source). I guess she hadn't heard of Ella Fitzgerald. She introdushesh him in thish video, and I think shee sheems shlightly drunky shlop (hiccup):

2 comments:

Video Zeta One said...

Didn't Jack Jones sing the Love Boat theme song?

Whipped Cream & Other Delights - best album cover in the history of covered albums.

Chris said...

He sure did. I think I did a post about it, but I could be wrong. That theme song was my first exposure to him, probably many people's first exposure to him.

It's a classic cover! Imagine what it was like to see it back in '65.