April 24, 2007

A foggy morning in Conroe

Conroe, Texas (population: 43,402), is 30 miles north of Crazytown (Houston), 17 miles S of Huntsville, and 44 miles E of Navasota. It is Montgomery County Seat.

I was there on a foggy morning to rival a previous one, and the streets were set up for something called "The Race for Kids," so I nearly aborted the visit, and if not for the two and a half hour drive, I would've.

Montgomery County Courthouse - made of limestone, it was built in 1936 in the Moderne style.
flags at half-staff for Virginia Tech


lodge cornerstone

defunct bus depot neon

dry goods ghost sign




ready for the race

The Crighton Theatre opened in 1934, and it is now the home of the Montgomery County Performing Arts Society after standing vacant for over a decade. Miracles do happen, and not everything has to be torn down!


former bank building




on the way home...
I got laid off at Brown & Root,
On my way back to Cut and Shoot,
I lost my wristwatch an' my boots,
Shootin' dice with a dude from Houston.

("Lone Star Blues" by Delbert McClinton)

No comments: