September 8, 2006

Drinking the Kool-Aid

Here is the video for the opening track to Spike Priggen's (Bedazzled!) new CD, There's No Sound In Flutes!. It's a way-catchy, ultra-melodic ditty called "I Know Everything." I think it's the most, forgive me, commercial thing I've heard of his. But that can't be right, because what is "commercial" today? Ashley Simpson?? Kevin Federline??? Paris Hilton???? So let's just say it's good stuff. Besides the melody, I like the jangly, warbly lead guitar bit and the repeating drum part, very much reminiscent of the one from The Everly's "Cathy's Clown" or The Beatles' "Ticket to Ride."

The video is comprised of footage from the 1980 TV docudrama Guyana Tragedy: The Story of Jim Jones. According to his site, the original plan was to do a sort of homage to the film, with Priggen playing the part of the disturbed cult leader. How Polyphonic Spree it might have been. Expense prohibited that plan, and what remained is this storyboard/demo version:

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow -- that Powers Boothe sure is something, and always has been!

The Priggen song reminds me of Freedy Johnston, which is a good thing. And what great cover art on his CD.

Chris said...

I get the feeling Powers Boothe was/is creepier than even Jim Jones!

I thought you meant "Freddy Jackson" (the R&B singer) at first, which would have been way off. It's a nice song; memorable hooks. I think I read at his site the cover art is buy a reknowned pop artist.

Lisa said...

"Cooler than Freddy Jackson sippin'a milkshake in a snowstorm!" Hee.

Priggen's cover art is by Peter Bagge, who really was the voice of Generation X for a while there. In a non-mortifying way. One of the best comics artists ever.