May 4, 2006

"That's Not True, That's Impossible!!!"


The original Star Wars trilogy is to be released on DVD this September. Get the details here. The article also mentions the release of the LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy video game. So, I have two reasons to live, at least until September!

"In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie, as well as the original theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983."

After reading about rumors of more tweaking to be done to the original trilogy (for example, "The Imperial March" might be added to the first appearance of Vader, and "Anakin's Theme" could be added to the scene where Obi-Wan tells Luke about his father's "death") to coincide with the thirtieth, yes, thirtieth (ugh) anniversary of Star Wars, I sort of panicked, and got a version of the 1995 VHS release, last summer. Perhaps a strange thing to feel panic over, but I felt it was very important to own the original, unmolested films I remembered. So I've had the satisfaction of seeing the movies as they were when I first saw them (5/25/77) as an impressionable ten year old.

Am I buying them again again on DVD? You better believe it. I'm crazy like that.

Could this be the greatest moment in American film history? It is to me. The addition of John Williams' score makes it pure magic. It gives me goosebumps, each and every time. It's so beautiful. Of course, Lucas shamefully humped this scene in Episodes II and Episode III.



via Ain't It Cool News

1 comment:

Chris said...

Lol. Trashy?

Yeah, Lucas has us in his clutches, and we can't get free. Even if I was determined to refuse to purchase this version, I'd eventually relent. I'm powerless to resist, kind of like with "trashy" young ladies ;)