November 22, 2005

Hello, I'm Exquisitely Bored


Besides being boring, I now realize why I didn't dig Ray. Now, don't get me wrong. I like Ray Charles and his music. My problem with Ray was Jamie Foxx. I've just seen Walk the Line, and compared to Joaquin Phoenix's portrayal of Johnny Cash, Foxx was just doing an imitation (albeit a really good one) of Ray Charles. Obviously, he was cast due to his uncanny resemblance of Charles when he put on a pair of sunglasses, as well as his piano playing skill. But Phoenix was/is Johnny Cash. Walk the Line is not a great movie (it drags towards the end), but his performance is worth the price of admission. All the the Oscar nomination talk is deserved. Reese Witherspoon is also excellent as June Carter. I can't see Jaime Foxx and not think "Ugly Wanda". I can't take him seriously. But Phoenix, he has...weight, intensity...gravitas. Walk the Line is by no means the greatest music biopic ever made. No, that title belongs to this, or possibly this.

No comments: