May 25, 2009

More vintage imagery


I just had to do another post about the Library of Congress and its set of favorites at Flickr from the Farm Security Administration - Office of War Information Photograph Collection.

This photograph was taken in July 1940 by Marion Post Wolcott, and it features Wigwam Village #2, in Cave City, Kentucky. It would appear the neon sign is still there. It reminds me a lot of the Tee Pee Motel, right outside of Wharton, which I photographed back in February 2007.

side view of tee pees lined up

tee pee motel sign with sun just rising

Another fine Marion Post Wolcott photograph, this one was taken in October 1939 of a "negro going in colored entrance of movie house on Saturday afternoon, Belzoni, Mississippi Delta, Mississippi." I include this one here for the most superficial of reasons, namely, it reminds me of some shots I've taken:

dr. pepper mural in pittsburg
Pittsburg, March 2007

dr. pepper sign in mt. pleasant
Mount Pleasant, also March 2007

food & fun...in one

2 comments:

Retro Hound said...

We have some of those Tee Pee hotel things just north of Lawrence, Kansas. I've always wanted to take a picture, have never done it, and now we don't go by there anymore.

Leigh said...

This reminds me that I really want to watch Cars again.