April 25, 2008

Ghost of Coca-Cola and Dr. Pepper


I took a different route to a place I've driven numerous times, and was rewarded for doing so.


View Larger Map

Going through a small town I'd never heard of, Shiro, Texas, I drove right by this:
coca-cola ghost with sprite
Obviously, I turned around and pulled over (more like skidded to an abrubt stop), and needless to say I was very pleased. It only goes to show why one should always have their camera with them, although I was on a road trip, so I definitely had mine! You just never know when you are going to come across something like it.
What's really cool about this one is the use of the presence of the Sprite Boy character. This would help to date this sign from either the 1940s or 1950s. Sprite Boy was created in 1942 to introduce the name "Coke" and to help the consumer associate Coke with Coca-Cola.

Closer to home, but on the same route and same trip, I pulled over in Groveton, Texas, to get a shot of this, at a different time of the day than a previous time:
dr. pepper ghost sign in groveton

My experience here in Texas is that Dr. Pepper ghost signs are much rarer than Coca-Cola's, so they're nice to find!

3 comments:

Phil Mooney said...

Chris - I saw your photos of the old Coke mural and Sprite Boy ad and had to comment. I'm the archivist for The Coca-Cola Company and started my own blog (Coca-Cola Conversations) in January. I write about Coke's heritage and history, but am also very interested in the role Coke plays in pop culture and everyday life. Murals certainly were part of American culture until the 1960s -- with our first mural in Georgia in 1894. It's great that the mural is still there and that you took the time to stop for it. Coke has a unique role in people's lives, and I think your post is an example of that. Though my blog is still fairly new, in the few months I've had it, I've talked about Coke collectibles, movies that feature Coke, recipes made with Coke and more. I'd love for you to check it out and let me know what you think. Thanks -- Phil

Chris said...

Hey Phil,

THE archivist for Coca-Cola. Wow! I'm honored. Seriously. Man, I'd love to see that 1894 mural! I'm sure it's long gone though. I think what you are doing is really neat. I know there are many intensely passionate collectors out there of Coca-Cola memorabilia. I hope they find your endeavor. They'd definitely love it.

If you get a chance, this is a collection of Coca-Cola signage I've located in Texas.

Anonymous said...

Robert Oden & Bruce Carroll own the building and faux refinished the mural. They hope to eventually restore the building and the mural. Maybe when the economy improves. They would be interested in a photo of the original mural to use for restoration.