April 13, 2007

"I Cover the Waterfront"


cover the waterfront-to deal with all parts of a subject or area of interest, not omitting anything. (from idioms.thefreedictionary.com)

"I Cover the Waterfront" was composed for the 1933 film of the same name by songwriting team Edward Heyman and Johnny Green.

This is an excellent performance of it by Louis Armstrong in Copenhagen, around 1933. I can't get over how good the microphones were:


But with all due respect to Satchmo, no one could squeeze the emotion from the notes of a song like Frank Sinatra. He recorded a version for the Where Are You album in 1957. Here is a bit of Sinatra's interpretation.

2 comments:

1000Words said...

John Lee Hooker did a great version with Van Morrison.

Chris said...

Wow! I had no idea. I bet it's good. No sign of it at YouTube, though (unfortunately - I just looked).