October 17, 2006

"I Saw You First"

Note the pipe.

Having appeared as simply a "performer" in Ship Ahoy (1942) and Reveille with Beverly (1943), twenty-seven year old crooner/teen idol Frank Sinatra made his acting debut in the musical Higher and Higher (1943). I've done a previous post featuring his performance of "I Couldn't Sleep a Wink Last Night" from the same film. But here is a charming little scene with Frankie being pursued by Marcy McGuire, no doubt giving life to a thousand bobby soxer fantasies.

Here they are performing "I Saw You First":


I love how she tells him, "From now on, I'll listen to Crosby!!"


2 comments:

Fuzzball said...

That last frame has them looking a little manic-- What were they snorting on the set?!

;)

Chris said...

I know you're joking, but she has the Sinatra equivalent of Beatlemania, he, the accompanying dread. Watch the video. It's short and cute. It's Frankieliscious.